Bill Ojile has over 30 years of experience advising, counseling and trying cases on behalf of companies. He is trusted by senior management and boards of directors of companies of all sizes to bring an experienced and measured perspective to sophisticated legal, regulatory and business issues. Valued for his understanding of business complexities and his ability to bring forth creative solutions to address complicated issues, Bill draws on his 15 years of experience as a general counsel to thoroughly understand and respond to his clients’ business needs.
Bill has tried many cases before and made appellate arguments to federal and state courts and administrative agencies across the country. These disputes have required Bill to oversee large teams of people and to manage legal, administrative, public relations and legislative issues, as well as formulating strategic direction, often simultaneously. Bill is adept at negotiating resolution of complex and multi-faceted legal and policy disputes. His extensive experience working with companies operating in the higher education, telecommunications and insurance sectors translates well to other regulated businesses facing similar issues.
Insurance: For brokers in the insurance industry, Bill provides counsel on evaluating restrictive covenant agreements, onboarding of new employees and defending claims that those employees violated a prior employer’s restrictive covenants, as well as drafting and enforcing restrictive covenants.
Higher Education: Bill leverages his nine years of experience as general counsel for a multi-campus private college to advise institutions of higher education on a range of issues unique to that field, including:
- Regulatory and accreditation compliance
- Student complaints and litigation
- State and federal government actions and investigations
- School closure issues
Bill has also provided expert testimony on issues involving higher education regulation and accreditation.
Telecommunications: Clients benefit from Bill’s 18 years’ experience working in the telecommunications industry including almost six years’ experience as general counsel for a large, publicly traded telecommunications company. Valued for his understanding of the technical and business issues involved in offering telecommunications services, he represents and advises carriers on state and federal regulatory matters, as well as commercial litigation and legislative issues.
Outside general counsel: Before joining Armstrong Teasdale, Bill spent 15 years in general counsel roles, with responsibility for all legal, regulatory, human resources, government affairs and compliance matters. This unique skill set allows Bill to address and provide advice on a wide range of corporate legal issues, including governance, human resources, litigation, contracts and transactions, among others. In transactional matters, his experience includes leading an IPO, a multibillion-dollar merger and numerous smaller transactions. Bill has extensive experience negotiating, drafting and enforcing the terms of significant contracts, including financing agreements, master services agreements, agreements with company executives and professional services agreements. He has implemented compliance programs for multiple companies and provides advice and counsel on all types of corporate governance issues.
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Law (J.D., 1985)
- Allen Moot Court Board
- Order of the Barristers
- University of Nebraska - Omaha (B.S., cum laude, 1981)
- Business Administration
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- Colorado Supreme Court Unauthorized Practice of Law Committee (Member, 2007-2014)
- National Association of College and University Attorneys (NACUA) (Member)
- Colorado Supreme Court Proactive Risk-Based Regulation Subcommittee (2016-2018)
- American Arbitration Association Commercial Panel (Arbitrator)
- Career Education Colleges and Universities (Member)
- Armstrong Teasdale Inclusion Committee
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- The Wayfaring Band (Chairman of the Board, 2015-present)
- University of Nebraska College of Law Space & Telecom Program (Advisory Board Member, 2009-present)
- Rocky Mountain Human Services (Treasurer of the Board of Directors, Board Member)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Commercial Litigation, Communications Law (2017-present)
- Certified Public Accountant Certificate, Nebraska, 1984
- Denver Business Journal Best Corporate Counsel Award (Finalist, 2013)
- Dallas Business Journal Best General Counsel Award (Finalist, 2003)
- 2014 Award of Distinction (Feature Writing), The Communicator Awards (For Managing the Court of Public Opinion During a Media Crisis)
- 2014 Award of Excellence (Feature Writing), Awards for Publication Excellence (For Managing the Court of Public Opinion During a Media Crisis)
Before joining Armstrong Teasdale, Bill spent over 25 years working in corporate legal departments: over 11 years for a Fortune 50 telecommunications company in legal and executive positions of increasing responsibility; over five years as general counsel for a large, publicly traded telecommunications company; and over nine years as general counsel of a multi-campus private college.