Eric Walter has extensive state and federal litigation experience in a wide range of complex commercial and business cases that include: a major men’s retail chain defeating false advertising claims by different statewide classes of customers; a publicly traded company defeating breach of fiduciary duty claims by a national class of former stockholders; and a religious conference center prevailing in a long-running corporate governance and property dispute.
In his practice, Eric serves privately owned businesses, publicly traded companies and nonprofit corporations. A significant portion of this work involves the defending class action lawsuits brought against various business entities. Many of the cases involve allegations of fraud, false advertising, unfair trade practices and breaches of state and federal consumer protection laws.
Eric also represents clients in matters alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and copyright infringement. He also provides counsel in workplace cases involving claims such as discrimination and violation of noncompete and nonsolicitation provisions.
A significant part of Eric’s practice involves representing businesses and individuals in the legalized marijuana industry. He has successfully represented companies applying for state licenses to cultivate and dispense medical marijuana and its byproducts. In this area, Eric advises clients on state and federal regulations governing not only the operation of legalized marijuana businesses, but also the solicitation of and contracting with investors and other business partners.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D., 1998)
- Missouri Environmental Law and Policy Review, Articles Editor (1996-1998)
- University of Missouri (B.S., magna cum laude, 1995)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (Marijuana Law Committee, Chair)
- Texas Bar Association
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2017-present)
Prior to joining the firm, Eric was in private practice at another St. Louis area law firm. He was previously an assistant attorney general for the state of Missouri. In that position, Eric was appointed general counsel for several professional state licensing boards and prosecuted licensure violations. While with the Attorney General's Office, he also worked on complex federal lawsuits involving ERISA pre-emption.