Eric Walter focuses his practice on representing businesses in the legalized cannabis industry. He has successfully represented companies applying for state licenses to cultivate, manufacture, and dispense cannabis and cannabis-infused products. Eric represents a significant percentage of the license-holding entities in Missouri. An active and influential advisor to the industry, Eric was a member of the committee responsible for drafting Missouri Amendment 3 that legalized recreational cannabis use in the state.
In this area, Eric advises clients on state and federal regulations governing the operation of legalized cannabis businesses. Eric also assists clients with solicitation of investors, loan transactions to procure capital, and mergers and acquisitions involving companies in the cannabis industry.
In addition, Eric has extensive state and federal litigation experience in a wide range of complex commercial and business cases, including cases involving cannabis license-holding entities. A significant portion of this work involves defending class action lawsuits brought against various business entities. Many of the cases involve allegations of fraud, false advertising, unfair trade practices, and breaches of state and federal consumer protection laws.
Eric also represents clients in traditional business litigation disputes, including matters alleging breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and copyright infringement. He also advises employers in connection with claims such as discrimination and violation of noncompete and non-solicitation provisions.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D., 1998)
- Missouri Environmental Law and Policy Review, Articles Editor (1996-1998)
- University of Missouri (B.S., magna cum laude, 1995)
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- The Missouri Bar
- International Cannabis Bar Association
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis (Marijuana Law Committee, Chair)
- Texas Bar Association
- Best Lawyer for Cannabis Counsel, Reader's Choice Awards, MO Greenway Magazine (2019, 2021)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (Cannabis Law, 2017-present)
Prior to joining the firm, Eric was in private practice at another St. Louis area law firm. He was previously an assistant attorney general for the state of Missouri. In that position, Eric was appointed general counsel for several professional state licensing boards and prosecuted licensure violations. While with the Attorney General's Office, he also worked on complex federal lawsuits involving ERISA pre-emption.