Jim Fredericks has more than 35 years of experience in the areas of real estate and business law, enabling him to provide a broad range of support to clients of all sizes.
Jim has extensive experience in property management law and represents local, regional and national property management companies and owners with respect to office buildings, shopping centers, warehouses, residential and mixed-use projects. His experience includes negotiating and drafting complex commercial leases, sale agreements, reciprocal easement agreements, and broker and management agreements. He also provides legal advice regarding landlord-tenant disputes, litigation and bankruptcy.
Jim also represents both small and large scale real estate developers in projects involving property assemblage, title work, project financing, development agreements, zoning, and municipal development assistance including tax increment financing (TIF), transportation development districts (TDD), community improvement districts (CID), and real estate tax abatement.
He has substantial experience in orchestrating complex 1031 tax-deferred exchanges, negotiating pipeline and other utility easements, and appealing real and personal property tax valuations.
As counsel for more than 100 corporations, limited liability companies, trusts, partnerships and other entities, Jim also directs and administers the legal needs of a wide variety of businesses.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (J.D., 1981)
- The Urban Lawyer (Associate Editor)
- Delta Theta Phi (President)
- Saint Louis University (B.A., 1976)
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- The Missouri Bar
- American Bar Association
- Citizens for Modern Transit (Board of Directors, 2011-2014; Executive Committee 2013-present)
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) (Multiple term Board Member)
- Missouri Growth Association (Past Board Member)
- Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) (Past Member)
- St. Louis Business Network (Past Board Member)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Support Dogs, Inc. (Past Board Member)
- Historic Neighborhood Association (Past President)
- Epworth Foundation (Past Board Member, Real Estate Tax Force member)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Real Estate Law (2013-present)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), President’s Award
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Jim was an equity shareholder for 17 years at a national law firm of over 800 attorneys, where he was also practice group leader of the Real Estate Department for the St. Louis office for approximately 14 years.
He also served as senior real estate attorney and litigator for the Nooney Company, a 12-state regional property management and development company. Prior to that, Jim held the position of senior real estate specialist for a major oil and gas pipeline company where he handled sales, acquisitions, leases and easements of a diverse range of property and property interests.