Melissa Madrigal is a partner at Armstrong Teasdale focusing her practice on complex, federal white-collar and securities enforcement defense. With nearly a decade of experience, Melissa has successfully defended clients in high-stakes, high-profile matters across the country.
Melissa has represented individuals in criminal investigations and prosecutions brought under a broad array of federal criminal statutes including those related to RICO, health care fraud, securities fraud, mail and wire fraud, conspiracy, tax, government contracting fraud, money laundering, access device fraud, identity theft, fish and wildlife, terrorism, Bank Secrecy Act violations, obstruction of justice, sanctions violations, and narcotics trafficking. She also has experience representing individuals in regulatory investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Extending her practice to appeals, Melissa also represents clients before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Melissa is fluent in Spanish and has represented a number of Spanish-speaking Latin American clients in U.S. criminal matters in both state and federal court.
Prior to joining the firm, Melissa spent nearly 10 years in private practice at other New York and Florida law firms. She has built a reputation for successfully handling white-collar criminal matters and regulatory investigations.
During law school, she worked as a law clerk in the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Miami, Florida, in the Narcotics Division. While there she helped negotiate plea agreements with defense counsel, conducted legal research, prepared draft pleadings, assisted in trial preparation, and collaborated with the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) to secure indictments. She also served as a judicial intern to the Hon. Adalberto Jordan in U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida.
- Florida International University (J.D., 2011)
- CALI Book Award: Legal Skills & Values III
- CALI Book Award: Products Liability
- CALI Book Award: Legal Skills & Values I
- Dean's List (all semesters)
- Florida International University (B.A., cum laude, 2008)
- Political Science
- Minors in International Relations and National Security Studies
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), Women in Criminal Defense (Committee Member)
- Federal Bar Council
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Free Arts NYC (Volunteer)
- Benchmark Litigation, Future Star (2021)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers® Rising Star, White Collar Criminal Defense (2016-present)