Mike Chivell was elected chairman of the firm in 2016 and focuses on client relations, strategic planning, community relations and lateral recruitment. The firm is a member of the United States Law Firm Group (USLFG), a network of 17 law firms headquartered in major U.S. cities with a combined 6,000 attorneys. Mike serves as the Executive Director of the USLFG.
From 2007-2016, Mike served as the firm’s managing partner and chaired its Executive Committee. In this role, Mike oversaw the strategic growth of the firm, including the expansion of the firm into Colorado by combining with a large group of attorneys practicing in the Denver market.
His practice focuses on general corporate matters with special emphasis on responsibilities of boards of directors. He counsels a number of nonprofit entities, political subdivisions, corporations and privately held companies. In this role, he assists management with financial and legal matters as well as rights, responsibilities and governance issues. He has broad experience working with a wide range of corporate and real estate transactions including numerous mergers and acquisitions, commercial development and leasing and corporate finance.
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., with distinction, 1983)
- Illinois Wesleyan University (B.A., cum laude, 1976)
- Missouri, 1983
- Illinois, 1984
- The Missouri Bar
- The United States Law Firm Group® (USLFG®) (Executive Committee, 2008-2011; President, 2009-2010)
- Blue Key
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Mike serves on the Regional Business Council and a number of other advisory boards for community organizations.
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions (multiple years)
- Recipient, Missouri Lawyers Weekly Law Firm Leader Award (2012)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Real Estate Law, Corporate Law (2009-present)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2008-2016); Super Lawyers®, Business Edition (2011-2014)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell