Chairman Emeritus Mike Chivell has been instrumental in firm leadership for much of his career at Armstrong Teasdale. He has served as a practice group leader and as a member of numerous firm management committees, and led the firm as managing partner from 2007 until 2016, when he was elected chairman. Mike also serves as the executive director of the United States Law Firm Group (USLFG), a network of 17 law firms, including Armstrong Teasdale, headquartered in major U.S. cities with a combined 7,000 attorneys.
As managing partner, Mike oversaw the strategic growth of the firm, including the expansion of the firm into Colorado by combining with a large group of attorneys practicing in the Denver market. His focus as chairman was on client relations, strategic planning, community relations and lateral recruitment.
His practice focuses on general corporate matters with special emphasis on responsibilities of boards of directors. He counsels a number of nonprofit entities, political subdivisions, corporations and privately held companies. In this role, he assists management with financial and legal matters as well as rights, responsibilities and governance issues. He has broad experience working with a wide range of corporate and real estate transactions including numerous mergers and acquisitions, commercial development and leasing and corporate finance.
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., with distinction, 1983)
- Illinois Wesleyan University (B.A., cum laude, 1976)
- Missouri, 1983
- Illinois, 1984
- The Missouri Bar
- The United States Law Firm Group® (USLFG®) (Executive Committee, 2008-2011; President, 2009-2010; Executive Director, 2018-present))
- Blue Key
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Mike serves on a number of advisory boards for community organizations.
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly, ICON Award (2021)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions (multiple years)
- Recipient, Missouri Lawyers Weekly Law Firm Leader Award (2012)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Real Estate Law, Corporate Law (2009-present)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2008-2016); Super Lawyers®, Business Edition (2011-2014)
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell