Patrick Coyle is a patent attorney in the firm’s Intellectual Property practice group. Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, his main focus is on the preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications in the mechanical, electromechanical and materials science disciplines.
Combining his interest in materials science and engineering with that of law, Pat guides inventors, design engineers and in-house counsel through all stages of the patent application process. Pat has experience in a wide range of technologies, including semiconductor and solar material manufacturing and processing, precision agricultural equipment, HVAC systems, automotive technology, emergency vehicle equipment and medical devices.
Pat's patent prosecution practice also includes the preparation and prosecution of design patent applications, both in the U.S. and internationally, directed to consumer products, industrial designs, and computer icons and user interfaces.
Pat also advises clients on all aspects of patent management. He prepares non-infringement and invalidity opinions, and patentability, due diligence and patent landscape analyses. He assists clients in pre-litigation enforcement of patent rights by performing initial infringement analyses, providing tailored patent enforcement strategies, preparing cease and desist letters, and negotiating settlement agreements.
In addition to patent prosecution and management, Pat has experience with complex intellectual property litigation, specifically patent litigation matters pending in federal courts throughout the United States.
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2012)
- Order of the Coif
- Giles Rich Moot Court Competition, 2012
- Saul Lefkowitz Moot Court Competition, 2011
- Research and Media Editor, Washington University Global Studies Law Review
- University of Illinois (B.S., with honors, 2009)
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Missouri, 2012
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, 2012
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- American Bar Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Ones to Watch, Patent Law (2021)