Robert Klahr is a partner and leader of the Financial and Real Estate Services practice group. He previously served as the co-chair of the Public Finance practice group. He concentrates his practice in the areas of public-private real estate development and municipal finance. Rob uses innovative public financing to structure complex deals that enable his clients to achieve their objectives.
Rob represents municipalities, private real estate developers, bankers and underwriters in projects using tax increment financing, transportation development districts (TDD), community improvement districts (CID), neighborhood improvement districts (NID) and Chapter 100 industrial revenue and BUILD Missouri revenue bonds. His ability to negotiate and secure public funding for clients has resulted in the financing or refinancing of public and private projects including arenas, expressways, corporate headquarters, manufacturing facilities and entertainment/retail malls. He has also been involved in the issuance of a variety of publicly offered municipal bonds, including general obligation bonds, special tax revenue bonds and tax increment revenue bonds.
In recent years, Rob has assisted in drafting and reviewing proposed amendments to various state statutes including the Missouri Transportation Development District Act, the Community Improvement District Act, the Real Property Tax Increment Allocation Redevelopment Act, the Neighborhood Improvement District Act and the Property Assessment Clean Energy (PACE) Act. He provided analysis and insight to the City of St. Louis when it implemented its “Set the PACE St. Louis” program. Rob has also advised clients regarding the creation and implementation of qualified opportunity zone funds to finance various commercial development projects.
As head of the Financial and Real Estate Services practice group, Rob coordinates new business efforts, ensures that matters are staffed appropriately and cost-effectively, and is heavily involved in retention and recruiting efforts. Rob is also a member of the firm’s Strategic Planning Committee.
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 1994)
- Washington University Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law (Member, Associate Editor)
- University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business (B.S., cum laude, 1991)
- University of Pennsylvania, College of Arts and Sciences (B.A., cum laude, 1991)
- Missouri, 2000
- Minnesota, 1994
- The Missouri Bar
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Missouri Economic Development Financing Association (MEDFA) (Board of Directors; Conference Committee; Nominating Committee)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- University City Historic Preservation Commission (2017-present)
- University Hills Subdivision (Former Member, Board of Trustees)
- Forsyth School (Former President, Board of Trustees and Co-Chair Capital Campaign)
- Penn Club of St. Louis (Former Vice President)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Municipal Law, Public Finance Law (2015-present)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers in Business for Real Estate (2014)
- Selected as an Up & Coming Lawyer by Missouri Lawyers Weekly
- AV® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell