Steven Tolman is a partner in the firm’s Financial and Real Estate Services practice group. He has more than 40 years of experience focusing on construction law and litigation in both the public construction and private construction sectors of the industry. His practice is both transactional and litigation.
His litigation practice encompasses construction disputes regarding bid protests, default and termination, delay damages, disputed work, nonperformance and nonpayment, mechanic’s liens, performance and payment bond claims, and administrative alternative dispute proceedings. Steve has significant litigation, trial and appellate experience, and has represented clients in both state and federal court, in administrative agency proceedings, and in mediations and arbitrations related to construction disputes.
His broad knowledge of the industry enables him to counsel clients in the preparation and negotiation of construction documents for all parties in the industry, including owners, developers, construction managers, general contractors, trade contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers and design professionals,
Steve also has significant experience in the preparation and negotiation of access license agreements between owners or developers and adjoining landowners, as well as issues of enforcement of rights and obligations to access for protective work.
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Steve was a founding partner and principal attorney at a New York City-based boutique law firm focusing on construction law and litigation, construction transactions and documents, real estate and landlord-tenant law.
- New York Law School (J.D., 1976)
- American Jurisprudence Award recipient
- Binghamton University - State University of New York (SUNY) (B.A., 1972)
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- New York State Bar Association
- New York County Lawyers Association
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent rating (methodology)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent Special Judicial Edition rating
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Construction Law, Litigation - Construction (2010-2020) (methodology)
- New York Metro Super Lawyers®,Construction Litigation (2010-present) (methodology)
No aspect of these advertisements has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Construction Lawyers Society of America, Fellow
- Top Attorneys in New York Metro Area - Construction Litigation, The American Registry (2014-present)
- Top Attorneys in New York, The New York Times (2011-present)
- Top Attorneys in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, New York Magazine (2009-present)
- Best Lawyers in New York City, The Wall Street Journal (2015-present)