A skilled trial attorney and member of the Employment and Labor practice area, Ida Shafaie counsels clients across industry sectors, primarily regarding complex civil rights claims and related state and local anti-discrimination laws. She has also conducted in-depth investigations on behalf of clients, including Fortune 100 companies, educational institutions and government entities.
Ida also regularly assists employers in developing policies and procedures, including employee handbooks in compliance with various regulatory agencies. She advises clients on noncompete, trade secret and restrictive covenant matters, and has successfully argued on behalf of her clients to secure temporary restraining orders in federal court.
Ida performs training seminars and has authored articles on best practices to help employers make informed decisions. She is co-editor of the Missouri Employment Law Letter, a monthly newsletter for HR professionals.
In addition to her active employment practice, Ida counsels on education matters, working with primary, secondary and post-secondary institutions. She has worked on matters involving public record laws as well as claims arising under Title IX, and has experience conducting Title IX training for university faculty and staff.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D., 2013)
- Order of the Barristers
- Academic Scholarship
- Dean's List
- Phi Delta Phi
- Journal of Dispute Resolution (Associate)
- University of Missouri (B.A., magna cum laude, 2010)
- Philosophy and Classical Humanities
- Dean's List
- Sigma Rho Sigma
- Judicial Peer Advisory Council
- Kappa Alpha Theta
- Missouri, 2013
- Illinois, 2020
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri, 2015
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD) (Pathfinder Program, 2021; Mentor)
- Women’s Law Association Foundation Board
- Women Lawyers' Association of Greater St. Louis (Board Member, Vice President; Former Secretary)
- Theodore McMillian American Inn of Court (Associate Member)
- Missouri Employment Law Newsletter (Co-Editor)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Motion for Kids (Volunteer)
- St. Louis Regional Business Council (Mentor)
- Kappa Alpha Theta Facility Corporation Board
- Armstrong Teasdale Michael C. Tramble Memorial Scholarship Fund Campaign Committee (Deputy Chair 2019; Co-Chair 2020-present)
- The Best Lawyers in America® Ones to Watch, Labor and Employment Law - Management (2022)
- St. Louis Regional Business Council (Leadership 100, 2020-2021)
- Missouri Lawyers Weekly Women's Justice Awards, Litigation category honoree (2020)
- Completed the Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers 2018 Trial Academy
- Roscoe Jenkins Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy (2012, 2013)
- Earned first place in the Attorney General’s Cup Mock Trial Competition (2011)
- Earned first place in the ABA Regional Arbitration Competition (2011)
- Earned second place in the ABA National Arbitration Competition (2012)
Prior to joining the firm, Ida was an associate at another St. Louis area law firm where she worked with municipal clients on a variety of matters, including the application of governmental immunities under state and federal law. She also has extensive experience in criminal law as a former assistant prosecuting attorney for the Greene County Prosecutor’s Office in Springfield, Missouri, where she managed over 400 criminal cases.
During law school, Ida clerked for the Missouri Attorney General’s Office, the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Missouri, and prosecuted cases on behalf of the Boone County Prosecutor’s Office as a participant in the University of Missouri’s Prosecution Clinic.