Jeff Schultz is an experienced business litigator and trial lawyer who has extensive knowledge about the field of data security and privacy. This background led him to be named co-leader of the firm’s Privacy and Data Security practice area and the former chair of The Missouri Bar’s Technology and Computer Law Committee. Jeff is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
As a litigator, Jeff routinely represents individuals and organizations across all industries in complex commercial disputes, including those involving the misappropriation of trade secrets, computer tampering, nondisclosure and noncompete agreements, commercial contracts and shareholder disputes. Jeff also assists clients in developing and implementing information protection strategies and responding to data-related incidents, including data breaches. He is a sought-after writer, speaker and advisor on the topics of noncompete agreements, trade secrets, computer tampering, data security and social media.
In addition, Jeff has authored a number of publications and has presented extensively on data security litigation, trade secrets law, noncompete and unfair competition law, e-discovery and commercial contracts.
Trade Secrets, Data Protection and Privacy
When clients are faced with the theft of data or disclosure of confidential information, Jeff reacts quickly by developing and implementing strategies to control the situation and remedy the breach. He frequently seeks and secures temporary restraining orders and preliminary and permanent injunctions to help safeguard businesses and their information. In addition, Jeff routinely assists clients in opposing requests for injunctive relief.
Jeff also counsels clients in connection with the development and implementation of programs to safeguard against information theft and minimize risks that arise as their businesses grow. In addition, Jeff assists clients across all industries in responding to data breaches and other computer incidents, including advising clients and developing strategies to comply with statutory and regulatory notice, disclosure, and remediation requirements and interacting with regulators. As part of his practice, he closely follows issues that stem from the use of technology in today’s fast moving environment, including laws governing cyber-behavior, privacy, and discovery.
Noncompete, Nonsolicit and Confidentiality Agreements
Jeff seeks and secures temporary restraining orders and preliminary and permanent injunctions to enforce noncompete, nonsolicitation, and confidentiality agreements. In addition, he routinely drafts noncompete, nonsolicit and confidentiality agreements and advises clients regarding the use of such agreements with employees and the acquisition or sale of businesses.
Services and Industries
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Noncompete and Trade Secrets
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Privacy and Data Security
- Emerging Companies
- Consumer Products and Services
- Financial Services and Banking
- Manufacturing and Innovation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Employment and Labor
- Technology Transactions
- Franchising and Distribution
- Health Care and Life Sciences
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- Washington University Journal of Law & Policy, Editor and Executive Board Member
- Scholar in Law Award
- Truman State University (B.A., magna cum laude, 2001)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Missouri, 2004
- Illinois, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- The Missouri Bar
- American Bar Association
- Washington University School of Law (Alumni Executive Committee)
- The Missouri Bar—Technology and Computer Law Committee (Chair, 2013-2015)
- Theodore McMillian Inns of Court (Barrister Member, 2013-2015, 2017-2019)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Boy Scouts of America (Emerging Leaders Network)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Patent, Trade Secrets Law (2018-present)
- Named a Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2011-present)
- Named an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2012)
- Selected to receive the W. Oliver Rasch Award Recipient for Outstanding Bar Journal Article from The Missouri Bar Foundation
- Recognized by The Missouri Bar for inclusion in the "2011 Pro Bono Wall of Fame"
- Named Chair of The Missouri Bar's Technology & Computer Law Committee (2011-2015)
- Selected as a barrister member of the Theodore McMillian Inns of Court (2013-2015; 2017-2019)