Jeff Schultz is an experienced business litigator and trial lawyer who has extensive trial experience in federal and state courts around the country. As a litigator, Jeff routinely represents individuals and organizations across all industries in complex commercial disputes, including those involving commercial contracts, business torts, misappropriation of trade secrets, computer tampering, nondisclosure and noncompete agreements, and shareholder disputes. In addition to handling claims for damages, Jeff routinely handles and has significant experience in prosecuting and defending claims for injunctive relief, including but not limited to claims for emergency injunctions, temporary restraining orders, and preliminary and permanent injunctions.
In addition to his experience with complex commercial litigation matters, Jeff has extensive knowledge about the field of data security and privacy. This background led him to be named co-leader of the firm’s Privacy and Data Security practice area and the former chair of The Missouri Bar’s Technology and Computer Law Committee. Jeff is a Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US) through the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
Jeff has authored a number of publications and has presented extensively on commercial contracts, data security litigation, trade secrets law, noncompete and unfair competition law, e-discovery.
Complex Commercial Disputes
Jeff represents clients across a variety of industries in complex commercial disputes involving allegations of breaches of contracts, statutory obligations, and fiduciary obligations, and allegations of fraud and intentional misconduct. Jeff has handled fact-intensive, witness-intensive, and document-intensive commercial cases in state and federal courts around the country, including in Arkansas, Arizona, California, Colorado, Delaware, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, and Washington.
When clients are faced with urgent threats to their business or are on the receiving end of a motion for temporary restraining order, Jeff reacts quickly by developing and implementing strategies to control the situation and avoid the threat. He frequently seeks and secures temporary restraining orders and preliminary and permanent injunctions to help safeguard businesses and their assets. In addition, Jeff routinely assists clients in opposing requests for injunctive relief.
Services and Industries
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Noncompete and Trade Secrets
- Privacy and Data Security
- Emerging Companies
- Consumer Products and Services
- Financial Services and Banking
- Manufacturing and Innovation
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Employment and Labor
- Technology Transactions
- Franchising and Distribution
- Health Care and Life Sciences
- Washington University School of Law (J.D., 2004)
- Washington University Journal of Law & Policy, Editor and Executive Board Member
- Scholar in Law Award
- Truman State University (B.A., magna cum laude, 2001)
- Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
- Missouri, 2004
- Illinois, 2005
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Illinois
- The Missouri Bar
- American Bar Association
- Washington University School of Law (Alumni Executive Committee)
- The Missouri Bar—Technology and Computer Law Committee (Chair, 2013-2015)
- Theodore McMillian Inns of Court (Barrister Member, 2013-2015, 2017-2019)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Boy Scouts of America (Emerging Leaders Network)
- Benchmark Litigation, Local Litigation Star (2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Commercial Litigation, Litigation - Patent, Trade Secrets Law (2018-present)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2011-present)
- “Up and Coming Lawyer,” Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2012)
- W. Oliver Rasch Award Recipient for Outstanding Bar Journal Article from The Missouri Bar Foundation
- The Missouri Bar, "2011 Pro Bono Wall of Fame"
- The Missouri Bar's Technology & Computer Law Committee (Chair, 2011-2015)
- Theodore McMillian Inns of Court (Barrister member, 2013-2015, 2017-2019)