Jonathan Stemerman advises clients in a wide variety of complex litigation, transactional and insolvency matters. He concentrates his practice in the areas of corporate, commercial and bankruptcy litigation, as well as corporate transactions, workouts and restructurings.
Jon has represented clients in numerous corporate and complex commercial litigation cases in Delaware and Pennsylvania. He frequently litigates matters in Delaware’s Court of Chancery, including actions involving breach of fiduciary duty, business divorce, receiverships, and books and records requests. Additionally, he represents both plaintiffs and defendants in breach of contract actions and other complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts.
He regularly serves as counsel to debtors, creditors and trustees in a wide variety of bankruptcy matters. Jon often represents plaintiffs and defendants in preferential transfer and fraudulent conveyance actions. He also advises clients in bankruptcy matters involving the sale or purchase of assets, assumption and assignment of leases and contracts, and intellectual property issues. He also assists debtors and creditors in out-of-court restructuring and workouts.
Further, Jon represents startups and emerging companies in transactional matters, including entity formation, investment rounds and wind downs.
Jon also counsels clients on D&O insurance coverage matters, including issues surrounding the duty to defend, priority of payment, advancement and indemnification. He has defended entities in Delaware in bad faith denial of coverage and advancement actions.
A certified Lean Six Sigma Green Belt, Jon leverages his skill set to provide cost efficiencies to his clients. He is also active in the American Bar Association, having held various leadership roles throughout his career.
Services and Industries
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy
- Emerging Companies
- Governance and Compliance
- Outside General Counsel
- Noncompete and Trade Secrets
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Insurance Coverage Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Jon was a shareholder at another Delaware-area law firm. Before that, he spent several years at large East Coast law firms focusing on complex commercial litigation.
Following law school, he served as a clerk to the Hon. Randy J. Holland of the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 2003)
- Colgate University (B.A., 2000)
- Pi Sigma Alpha, Political Science Honor Society
- U.S. District Court, District of Delaware
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt
- American Bar Association Business Law Section (Vice-Chair, E-Discovery Subcommittee, Business and Corporate Litigation Committee; Vice Chair, LLC Issues in Bankruptcy Subcommittee, LLCs, Partnerships and Unincorporated Entities Committee; Contributing Editor, Business Law Today)
- Turnaround Atlas Award for the Cross Border Special Situation M&A Deal of Year (sm) (2022)
- Delaware Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2012-2018)
- American Bar Association (Business Law Fellow, 2016-2018)
- James J. Manderino Award for Trial Advocacy (2003)
- Villanova Law Review (Managing Editor)