Shelley Ericsson is an experienced trial lawyer having represented both Missouri and Kansas employers in state and federal courts on a wide range of workplace matters. In recognition of her skills, she has been selected by her peers for over a decade as one of the “Best of the Bar” in the labor and employment field by the Kansas City Business Journal.
Shelley counsels companies of all sizes, from family-owned and privately held to Fortune 100 companies, on how to navigate various employment laws, including the Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 (FMLA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, Americans with Disabilities Act, Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the companion state Equal Employment Opportunity laws. Her services include drafting policies and procedures that are tailored for companies and their individual philosophies.
In addition to her employment cases, she has successfully tried a number of medical malpractice actions in Missouri state court.
Shelley is also very active in the legal community and was a board member for the Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City, serving as its president in 2011. She is a frequent public speaker on employment and labor law and litigation, and serves as editor of the Missouri Employment Law Letter, a monthly publication.
- University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Law (J.D., 1998)
- UMKC Law Review
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law (M.S., 1993)
- Legal Administration
- Missouri State University (B.A., cum laude, 1992)
- Political Science
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- The Missouri Bar
- Kansas City Metropolitan Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City (Board Member, 2003-present)
- Ross T. Robert Inns of Court
- Defense Research Institute
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Centurions Leadership Program (Class of 2018)
- UMKC Law School (Professor Robert Downs’ Scholarship Committee, 1999-present)
- Executive Women’s Golf Association
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Employment Law - Management, Litigation - Labor and Employment (2019-present)
- Best of the Bar, Kansas City Business Journal (2007-present)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2016-present); Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2008-2009, 2015)
- Association for Women Lawyers of Greater Kansas City President's Award (2009)
- Martindale-Hubbell® “AV” Rating