Calvin Matthews is a partner and member of the firm’s Corporate Services practice group. Serving as outside counsel to numerous corporations and corporate boards, he maintains a diverse practice with experience in a wide range of sectors. His clients include both closely held businesses and publicly traded companies across industries, large multi-state and international enterprises, and high-net-worth individuals.
Calvin takes a holistic view of a company’s operations and his client’s needs, hence providing optimal support and desired outcomes. His specialized approach, along with a deep understanding of his client’s needs, is the result of a unique background that includes extensive experience as a corporate services attorney, successful litigator and a decade-long career in the financial industry.
He utilizes his vast knowledge and experience to thoroughly and thoughtfully represent each of his clients in their various industries. Calvin works directly with owners, boards of directors and senior management to develop strategies aimed at improving operations and minimizing risks.
Calvin regularly advises his clients on corporate structure and internal policies, member and shareholder litigations, complex class action and corporate litigation, commercial contracts, insurance, real estate, employment, M&A, corporate governance and compliance. He has extensive experience with regulatory issues, including those related to banking and financial matters.
His widely publicized cases include the representation of multiple publicly held companies against various class actions; the representation of multiple board members of an international military defense company; and the representation of the CEO and President of a national company in a $600 million fraud scheme— the largest ever prosecuted in the state of Missouri.
- University of Tulsa College of Law (J.D.)
- Arizona State University (B.S.)
- Scholar Athlete
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- St. Louis Sports Commission (Board Member)
- Saint Louis Art Museum (Corporate Advisory Board)
- The St. Louis Museum of Transportation (Past Board Member)
- Loyola Academy (Past Board Member)
- Armstrong Teasdale United Way Campaign (Chairman, 2015)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2015-2016)
- NCAA National Champions, Arizona State University Men's Golf (1996)
- NCAA West Regional Champions, Arizona State University Men's Golf (1995, 1998)
- Pac-10 Champions, Arizona State University Men's Golf (1995-1998)
Prior to joining to Armstrong Teasdale, Calvin was in private practice at another St. Louis area firm.
Before practicing law, Calvin was a NASDAQ Securities Trader for JW Genesis Financial Services, Inc. where he held a NASD Series 7, General Securities Representative License; NASD Series 55, Equity Trader Representative License; and a NASD Series 63, Uniform Securities Agent License. He also worked for ADM at the Chicago Mercantile Exchange.