Jeremy Brenner is a seasoned strategic business partner to employers, having devoted a decade of his career, both as an HR consultant and as an employment attorney, to providing reasoned and insightful guidance in navigating the unique challenges employers face in the workplace. He has been recognized as a Rising Star in Employment and Labor Law by Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® consecutively since 2014, and was named an Up & Coming Lawyer by Missouri Lawyers Weekly in 2017.
When disputes with current and former employees are unavoidable, Jeremy represents employers and managers in administrative charge processes and federal and state court litigation throughout the country involving, for example, state and federal claims of discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations. Jeremy also devotes a substantial portion of his practice to wage and hour disputes, having successfully handled numerous state and federal Department of Labor investigations and litigated many misclassification, overtime, and minimum wage collective and class actions under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and other similar state wage payment laws.
Jeremy is equally passionate about sharing his knowledge and experience with employers and managers to help prevent disputes. In this regard, Jeremy is highly experienced in analyzing, editing and drafting human resources policies, employment agreements, severance and release agreements, offer letters, and other similar employment documents. He has conducted numerous HR compliance audits and employee misclassification audits. Jeremy regularly counsels employers of all sizes on day-to-day employment issues. He is particularly experienced in assisting small and emerging businesses with the formation and implementation of workplace policies, documents and procedures. This advice includes identifying potential areas of exposure, formulating solutions to protect growing businesses, and training staff in personnel administration procedures. He also serves as national employment law counsel for a major trade association.
Jeremy writes and speaks extensively on employment law and general HR topics. He has given CLEs for the Missouri Bar and presented at the Missouri Commission on Human Rights’ annual conference. He is a regular presenter in the BLR Master Class Series for Missouri employers; frequent national lecturer on employment, wage and hour and sexual harassment law through Surgent Professional Education webinar courses; a recurring employment and wage law panelist on “The All-Star Tax Series” sponsored by Edward Jones; and co-editor of the Missouri Employment Law Letter, a monthly publication for Missouri HR professionals.
In addition to his employment law practice, Jeremy serves as outside general counsel to three nonprofit organizations and outside employment counsel to several others, all in the area of early childhood education and children’s health and wellness.
Finally, Jeremy is a member of Armstrong Teasdale’s Associates Committee and Inclusion Committee, and oversees the firm’s onboarding programs for first year lawyers and lateral associates. In 2018, he served as chair of the firm's annual United Way campaign.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D.)
- Graduate Certificate in Dispute Resolution
- Dean's List
- Curator's Scholarship Recipient
- Mizzou Law Ambassadors
- Law School Representative
- Mizzou Graduate Professional Council
- Olin Business School at Washington University (B.S., Dean's List)
- Business Administration
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- The Missouri Bar
- Human Resource Management Association of St. Louis
- Missouri Employment Law Newsletter (Editor)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Armstrong Teasdale United Way Campaign (Chair, 2018)
- University City Children’s Center (Board of Directors, 2015-Present; Board Secretary and Executive Committee Member, 2016-Present)
- Anti-Defamation League Glass Leadership Institute (Class of 2012-2013)
- St. Louis Hillel at Washington University (Board of Directors, 2012-2014)
- US Attorney’s Hate Crimes Task Force (2012-Present)
- Washington University Alumni and Parents Admission Program (2007-Present)
- Beta Theta Pi Fraternity (District 44 Chief, 2008-2010; Financial Advisor, Alpha Iota Chapter, 2007-2008)
- AmeriCorps St. Louis (Junior Board Vice President, 2007-2008; Auctioneer, 2007 Starbright Auction)
- St. Louis Jewish Film Festival (Board of Directors, 2004)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2014-present)
- Up & Coming Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2017)
- Recognized by the Missouri Bar for inclusion in the 2011, 2015 and 2017 "Pro Bono Wall of Fame"
Before law school, Jeremy had a significant and unique amount of business experience. After graduating from the Olin Business School at Washington University, he worked for three years in finance and buying roles for the May Department Stores Company and Macy’s. Jeremy also spent several years as a senior executive for a human resources consulting firm helping businesses (from startups to Fortune 500 companies) identify and solve human resources challenges. He also served as general manager of that firm's Kansas City regional operations.