Jeremy Brenner is an experienced employment attorney and co-leader of the firm’s U.S. Employment and Labor practice area. He has served as a strategic business partner to employers for approximately 15 years, both as an HR consultant and as an employment attorney. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America® for Employment Law - Management, was recognized as a Rising Star in Employment and Labor Law by Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® consecutively from 2014 to 2022, and was named an Up & Coming Lawyer by Missouri Lawyers Weekly in 2017.
As a former co-leader of the firm’s national wage and hour/Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) practice, a substantial portion of Jeremy’s practice is devoted to wage and hour law. He has successfully handled many Department of Labor investigations around the country and litigated numerous misclassification, overtime, and minimum wage collective and class actions under the FLSA and other similar state laws. He has defended wage cases in state and federal courts across the country, including Missouri, Colorado, Florida, Tennessee, California, Arkansas and Texas. His experience also includes a variety of industries and employees, such as auto repair technicians, retail and restaurant managers, cable/satellite installers, health care workers, software engineers, manufacturing plant workers, and oil and gas workers.
In addition to wage and hour matters, Jeremy frequently represents employers and managers in administrative charge processes and federal and state court litigation throughout the country involving, for example, state and federal claims of discrimination, wrongful termination, harassment, retaliation and Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) violations. Jeremy also works closely with the firm’s corporate transaction teams and has extensive experience handling a wide range of employee-related issues that arise in the context of mergers and acquisitions, including reviewing and preparing employment-related agreements on both sides of transactions. He provides critical guidance to both buyers and sellers at all stages of the M&A life cycle, from employment law compliance at the due diligence stage through post-closing integration efforts.
Jeremy is equally passionate about sharing his knowledge and experience with employers and managers to help prevent disputes. He writes and speaks extensively on employment law and general HR topics. He has given CLEs for the Missouri Bar and presented at the Missouri Commission on Human Rights’ annual conference. He is a regular presenter in the BLR Master Class Series for Missouri employers; frequent national lecturer on employment, wage and hour and sexual harassment law through Surgent Professional Education webinar courses; a recurring employment and wage law panelist on “The All-Star Tax Series” sponsored by Edward Jones; and co-editor of the Missouri Employment Law Letter, a monthly publication for Missouri HR professionals.
In addition to his employment law practice, Jeremy serves as outside corporate counsel to three nonprofit organizations and outside employment counsel to several others, all in the area of early childhood education and children’s health and wellness.
Finally, Jeremy is a member of Armstrong Teasdale’s Inclusion Committee. For many years, he oversaw the firm’s onboarding programs for first year lawyers and lateral associates. In 2018, he served as chair of the firm's annual United Way campaign.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D.)
- Graduate Certificate in Dispute Resolution
- Dean's List
- Curator's Scholarship Recipient
- Mizzou Law Ambassadors
- Law School Representative
- Mizzou Graduate Professional Council
- Olin Business School at Washington University (B.S., Dean's List)
- Business Administration
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- The Missouri Bar
- Human Resource Management Association of St. Louis
- Missouri Employment Law Newsletter (Editor)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Armstrong Teasdale United Way Campaign (Chair, 2018)
- University City Children’s Center (Board of Directors, 2015-Present; Board Secretary and Executive Committee Member, 2016-Present)
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of St. Louis HR Committee (2021-Present)
- Anti-Defamation League Glass Leadership Institute (Class of 2012-2013)
- St. Louis Hillel at Washington University (Board of Directors, 2012-2014)
- US Attorney’s Hate Crimes Task Force (2012-Present)
- Washington University Alumni and Parents Admission Program (2007-Present)
- Beta Theta Pi Fraternity (District 44 Chief, 2008-2010; Financial Advisor, Alpha Iota Chapter, 2007-2008)
- AmeriCorps St. Louis (Junior Board Vice President, 2007-2008; Auctioneer, 2007 Starbright Auction)
- St. Louis Jewish Film Festival (Board of Directors, 2004)
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Employment Law - Management (2023-present); Labor Law - Management, Litigation - Labor and Employment (2024)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2014-present)
- Up & Coming Award, Missouri Lawyers Weekly (2017)
- Recognized by the Missouri Bar for inclusion in the 2011, 2015 and 2017 "Pro Bono Wall of Fame"
Before law school, Jeremy had a significant and unique amount of business experience. After graduating from the Olin Business School at Washington University, he worked for three years in finance and buying roles for the May Department Stores Company and Macy’s. Jeremy also spent several years as a senior executive for a human resources consulting firm helping businesses (from startups to Fortune 500 companies) identify and solve human resources challenges. He also served as general manager of that firm's Kansas City regional operations.