As a member of Armstrong Teasdale’s Intellectual Property practice, Mike Munsell provides tailored and focused representation to emerging companies and mature businesses. He counsels clients on patent acquisition, licensing and enforcement, product clearance, freedom-to-operate, validity, due diligence and general business matters.
Practicing before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office since 1997, Mike actively engages in the preparation, prosecution and enforcement of U.S., PCT and foreign patents. Mike has patent experience in technologies including aerospace, semiconductor wafer manufacturing, solar devices, batteries, bioenergy production, agricultural equipment and software, electric motors and controls, mining systems, medical devices including surgical instruments, orthopedic implants and nuclear imaging products.
With a range of experience in patent and trademark enforcement matters, Mike regularly counsels clients regarding enforcement options in the U.S. and in foreign jurisdictions. He has significant experience in patent reexaminations and in managing concurrent proceedings in U.S. courts and the Patent Office.
Mike also works closely with inventors and businesses in patent portfolio strategy and development, licensing and monetization. In general business matters, he counsels clients regarding due diligence, mergers and acquisitions, and joint development agreements.
- University of Missouri School of Law (J.D., 1997)
- Missouri Law Review (1997)
- Missouri Journal of Dispute Resolution (1997)
- Missouri University of Science and Technology (B.S.M.E., 1993)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Missouri, 1997
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- The Missouri Bar
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Alpha Iota Educational Foundation (President)
- The Best Lawyers in America®; Patent Law (2018-present)
- Best Patent Attorneys, St. Louis Small Business Monthly (2017)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Intellectual Property (2012-2017)