Steve Foristal, a member of the firm’s Corporate Services practice group, primarily focuses on mergers and acquisitions and commercial transactions. For public and private companies of all sizes, Steve provides counsel on pre-transaction planning and negotiations of letters of intent; due diligence investigations and data room management; drafting and negotiation of key transaction and closing documents; and coordination and management of transactions from inception through post-closing.
In addition, he counsels clients on antitrust and distribution business services, private capital and emerging companies, technology and licensing agreements and general business law, including corporate governance. Steve regularly counsels both public and private companies on antitrust compliance issues under the Sherman Act, Clayton Act, Federal Trade Commission Act and applicable state laws, such as distribution, dealer, exclusivity and supplier issues, price discrimination, discounts, rebates, minimum advertised price policies and most favored nations pricing issues, Hart-Scott-Rodino Act filings, internal audits, trade associations, tying, monopolization and other antitrust compliance issues.
Steve also counsels businesses on compliance and ethics, as companies are increasingly subject to fines and criminal liability. For his clients, Steve identifies risks, performs risk assessments and creates or revises compliance programs.
Supporting growing businesses, Steve also guides companies in corporate formation and funding. He negotiates shareholders’ agreements, operating agreements and credit facilities and routinely advises on a wide array of antitrust, distribution and commercial contracting issues.
Steve has a wide variety of corporate contract experience and has served as counsel to professional sports franchises and other businesses with respect to drafting and negotiating sponsorship and promotional rights agreements, license agreements and related commercial agreements.
Services and Industries
- Antitrust and Trade Practices
- Consumer Products and Services
- Emerging Companies
- Financial Services and Banking
- Franchising and Distribution
- Governance and Compliance
- Manufacturing and Innovation
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Outside General Counsel
- Private Equity and Venture Capital
- Sports, Media and Entertainment
- Franchise Business Acquisitions
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., magna cum laude, 2007)
- Order of the Woolsack
- Academic Achievement Award in Commercial Transactions
- Spring Hill College (B.S., cum laude, 2001)
- Missouri, 2007
- Illinois, 2007
- The Missouri Bar
- Illinois State Bar Association
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- St. Louis Volunteer Lawyers and Accountants for the Arts
- The Best Lawyers in America®, Corporate Law (2023)
- Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers®, Rising Star (2015-present)
While earning his law degree, Steve joined the firm as a summer associate and continued as a law clerk during the school year. During that time, he also served as an intern law clerk for Judge William Stiehl of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois. Prior to attending law school, he worked as a financial analyst with Boeing Co.