Renee Reuter has nearly 20 years of experience in-house, leading intellectual property programs for one of the country’s largest private companies. Her skill set is rooted in trademark practice, though her experience also extends to contested marks and litigation.
Renee’s past experience includes advising clients at all levels of management on trademark, copyright and domain name matters from selecting new marks to developing registration, renewal and enforcement strategies, in more than 100 countries and jurisdictions around the world. She has led registration, licensing watch and enforcement programs; provided strategic counsel for proposed trademarks and portfolios; and led due diligence and transition efforts for IP assets in the context of deals and acquisitions. She has advised on online brand protection, including social media and e-commerce matters, as well as registered and overseen portfolios with extensive domain name ownership.
Further, Renee has more than a decade of experience in government relations as a county councilmember. As such, she has significant legal writing experience and a unique perspective to offer firm clients. She played a key role in drafting the Rules of Procedure now used by the Jefferson County Council in Missouri. In addition, she has drafted legislation, bills, resolutions and amendments, as well as state laws and regulations.
A frequent speaker, Renee has presented to key industry organizations on various IP topics related to trademark and copyright law and infringement.
Prior to joining Armstrong Teasdale, Renee served as the first in-house intellectual property attorney for the largest car rental company in the world. She spent more than 20 years there and spearheaded protection efforts for the company’s trademark, patent, copyright and domain name portfolios. As the company grew globally, she secured trademarks and domain names in various jurisdictions and strategically directed several multi-jurisdictional trademark enforcement projects with positive outcomes. Renee took the lead on trademark licensing matters involving franchisees and stadium naming rights. She also negotiated settlements and domain name purchases, and managed trademark litigation and opposition matters in jurisdictions around the world.
- Saint Louis University School of Law (J.D., 2002)
- Student Bar Association (SBA), Class Representative (1997-2000)
- Colorado College (B.A., cum laude, 1995)
- Political Science
- Missouri Bar Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA), Member (2002-present); Internet Committee and New Global Top Level Domain (gTLD) Subcommittee Member (2010-2012)
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC), Member (2015-2020)
- Enterprise Holdings, Inc., Trademark Committee Leader/moderator (2019-2020); Patent Committee Leader/moderator (2002-2013); Privacy Committee (2008-2010); Diversity/Work Life Balance Committee (2008-2010)
Charitable and Civic Involvement
- Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) (2015-2017)
- East West Gateway Council of Governments, Board of Directors member, representing Jefferson County, Missouri (2016)
- Jefferson County Library Foundation, Secretary (2018-present); President (2015-2016); Board of Directors – Vice President (2013)
- University of Missouri Extension Program, Board of Directors member, representing Jefferson County, Missouri (2016-2020)
- Enterprise Holdings Mentoring Program, Mentor (2011-2014)
- Acts 1:8 Mission Society, St. Louis, Missouri, President (2013-2019); Board of Directors – Vice President, (2005-2013)
- WTR 300: The World’s Leading Corporate Trademark Professionals (2018-2019)
- World Trademark Review (WTR) North America Team of the Year (2016)
- Global Counsel Awards, Individual Intellectual Property Award of the Year (2016)
- Shortlisted, WTR In-House Counsel of the Year (2016)
- Shortlisted, WTR Vehicles & Transport Team of the Year (2016)